Special preparation is required for large screen
televisions and other electronics:
If the original carton and packing materials are no
longer available, you may need to crate it prior to moving day. If the
item can fit in another sturdy carton, line it with plenty of newsprint
paper or styrofoam before packing. Seal securely and mark "Extremely
Fragile" on the carton.
When packing a personal computer, printer, scanner, or
- Detach all connecting wires, removable paper
feeders/holders from all hardware and wrap monitors
- Remove all ink and toner cartridges
- Label all cables and wires for easy re-assembly
- Back up all computer files
- Pack speakers in well-cushioned dish pack boxes - any
large or unusually heavy speakers will simply be padded and placed on
- Consult your user manuals for any additional
instructions or file storage recommendations
Label cords and cables so you'll know which goes where,
and pack them in the same box as the electronic equipment they go with.
- Pack books of the same general size together, in small
- Pack them either flat, or with the spine touching the
bottom of the carton. Do not pack with spine facing upward, as glue can
break away from the binder.
- Expensively bound volumes or those of sentimental value
should be individually wrapped before packing.
Any modular office furniture will need to be dismantled
prior to move day. Use tape to mark where pieces go together and keep
the hardware together (including drawer pulls) in one spot, like a
plastic bag or coffee can.
If you're applying for a mortgage, gather together your
financial paperwork before you move: W2s, pay stubs, social security
cards, bank records, etc.