Moving with Children
the best way to help children adjust to all the changes of moving?
While there are many answers to this question, here are some general
- Talk to your children early, openly and often about
the move and what changes it will bring
- Keep to your normal routine as much as possible, and
arrange to continue your child's current activities in the new community
- Keep favorite items (toys, books, etc.) accessible
- Have children help pack a special box with their most
treasured toys - they can even decorate the box!
- If possible, take your children to the new community
before the move to introduce them to their new surroundings
- Let your children get involved with planning and
packing if possible, and ask for their input on how they would like to
decorate their new rooms
- Above all, ask for thoughts and opinions, and listen.